Artist Talk
Academy
Review
Online Shop

CATEGORY
Current Exhibition (1)
Upcoming Exhibition (0)
Past Exhibition (76)
John Sweetman 개인전, March 19 - April 1, Opening Reception , 3/19 (wed) 6:30~8:00pm
( HOMEPAGE ) | HIT : 6,585

UPLOAD 1 ::sweetman_artbit.jpg (154.9 KB) | DOWN : 144

John Sweetman @ Artbit Gallery, Insadong, Seoul        
March 19 - April 1, 2008
Opening Reception , 3/19 (wed) 6:30~8:00pm

FOREIGN FILM:  A Photographic Document from a Decade Living "On the Outside"

After a series of intellectual misadventures not worth recalling,
Mr. Palomar has decided that his chief activity will be looking at things from the outside.
A bit nearsighted, absent-minded, introverted, he does not seem to belong temperamentally
to that human type generally called an observer.
And yet it has always happened that certain things
- a stone wall, a seashell, a leaf, a teapot -
present themselves to him as if asking him for minute and prolonged attention:
he starts observing them almost unawares,
and his gaze begins to run over all the details and is then unable to detach itself.

from THE MEDITATIONS OF MR. PALOMAR, by Italo Calvino.

I have been living as a foreigner in four different countries since August 1995 - China, Hungary, Oman, and South Korea. During this time I have been working to create a document of my travels and experiences, as many people do, through photography. Most of my previous exhibitions have been presented in the countries where the photographs were captured. This is quite different from the more common scenario of returning to a 'home base' and exhibiting exotica gathered abroad. I see this as significant because the subjects of the photographs are often more familiar to the majority of people visiting the show than they are to me. Thus the exhibition becomes literally an act of representation - a place recorded and described by a foreigner, reflected back to the residents - a view from the outside.

Regardless of the subjects of individual photographs (regularly architecture, objects/products, and of course people), I've come to understand that the subject of my record is the inhabitation of place. I'm interested in the particularity, specificity, and to some extent the peculiarity of a place as I experience it over time.  Eschewing iconic subjects that one often imagines when picturing foreign places, I've attempted to describe a place through a record of ordinary settings and the everyday activities that occur in the built environment.

A professor of mine once said to me that the best cultural museums to visit in any city are its shops and markets. In the marketplace I can see what is valued. I can learn about means of production and distribution. I observe what gets repaired and reused, what is discarded, what is coveted. From signage and packaging to the degree to which products are ready for use - is it fixed price? do you haggle? - I begin to understand the place a little better.

Over time I have been most influenced by practitioners of what is commonly referred to as a documentary style - or reportage. Walker Evans, Henri Cartier Bresson, and Albert Watson, none of whom are interested in images of violence or disaster, define for me a photographic standard to which I aspire. During my years in Oman I set a personal goal to depict the beauty of the environment and the calm of the people there in order to counter, in a small way, the images that are typically associated with the Middle East. My years in Oman were perhaps the most fruitful for me in terms of photography, I grew to recognize the beauty of the sublime desert landscape and the small cities were tradition and modernity compliment one another in a fine balance.

The photographs in this exhibition are a selection of personal favourites from the past decade organized in three groupings - Asia, Europe, and the Middle East.

To look is one thing,
To see what you look at is another,
To understand what you see is a third,
To learn from what you understand is still something else:
To act on what you learn is all that matters.

Taoist proverb

BRIEF PRESS ANNOUNCEMENT:

Canadian photographer John Sweetman has lived overseas for the past 12 years. He currently teaches Visual Art at Seoul Foreign School. For Sweetman photography is a means of recording and sharing his personal discoveries of foreign places and cultures. His work could best be described as reportage - always with a discerning eye for subject and composition. His latest exhibition, FOREIGN FILM: A Photographic Document from a Decade Living "On the Outside" will be on display at Artbit Gallery in Insadong from March 19 - April 2, 2008.

The large format prints on exhibit are printed in Canada on fine papers. Sweetman has recently been exploring Giclée printing – a digital process that applies archival inks to archival paper media. The resulting image quality, sharpness and colour saturation place these prints in a league of their own.

.......................................................................................................................................

외국 사진: “바깥 생활”에서 나온 10년간의 사진 기록

다시 떠올릴 가치가 없는 지적인 고뇌의 연속 이후,
팔로마 씨는 그의 주된 활동을 바깥에서부터 사물을 관찰하는 것으로 하기로 하였다.
근시이며, 멍하고, 내성적이기까지 한 그는
체질상 흔히 관찰자라고 하는 사람의 종류에 속해있는 것 같아 보이지는 않는다.
하지만 항상 돌담벼락, 조개 껍질, 나뭇잎, 주전자 등
어떤 사물들이 마치 그에게 자세하고 오랜 관심을 부탁하는 것처럼 나타나고,
그는 거의 무의식적으로 그것을 관찰하기 시작하여
사소한 항목까지 주시하게 되면서 관찰에 빠져들게 된다.

Italo Calvino의 THE MEDITATIONS OF MR. PALOMAR 중

나는 1995년 8월부터 중국, 헝가리, 오만, 한국 등의 각기 다른 5개국에서 살아왔다. 많은 사람들이 그러는 것처럼, 이 기간 동안 나는 나의 여행과 체험을 사진으로 기록하려 했다. 나의 예전 사진전의 대부분은 사진이 촬영된 그 나라에서 소개되었다. 이는 타지에서 수집한 진기한 풍물을 고국으로 가져가 전시하는 좀 더 일반적인 시나리오에서 벗어난 것이다. 나는 사진의 피사체들이 나보다는 관람자의 대다수에게 훨씬 더 낯익은 것이라는 점에서 이 점은 매우 중요하다고 생각한다. 이로 인하여 전시회는 외국인의 시선으로 기록되고 묘사되어 다시 거주자들에게 반사되는 외부에서의 시선, 즉 문자 그대로 “다시” 보기가 될 수 있는 것이다.
나는 각 사진의 피사체(주로 건물, 사물, 그리고 사람)에 관계없이, 나의 기록의 대상은 “공간에서의 삶”이라는 것을 깨닫게 되었다. 나는 내가 시간에 따라 경험하는 한 장소의 고유성, 특수성, 그리고 어느 정도에 한해서는 특이성에 관심을 가지고 있다. 사람들이 타지와 함께 떠올리는 상징적인 사물들 대신, 나는 그 환경에서의 일반적인 배경과 일상적인 활동의 기록을 통하여 그 지역을 묘사하려고 하였다.
한 교수는 어느 도시서든지 찾아볼 만한 가장 좋은 문화 박물관은 상점과 시장이라고 했다. 시장에서 나는 무엇이 중요시되는지 볼 수 있다. 생산과 분배의 방법에 대해서도 알 수 있다. 나는 사람들이 무엇을 수선하고 재활용하는지, 무엇을 버리는지, 무엇을 탐내는지 관찰한다. 제품의 문구와 포장에서부터 가격표시는 어떻게 되어있는지까지, 즉 정찰제인지 흥정을 통해 값을 깎아야 하는지를 통해 나는 그 도시를 더 잘 이해할 수 있게 되었다.
사진을 찍으면서 나는 일반적으로 다큐멘터리 스타일 - 혹은 보도 자료 - 이라고 불리는 기법을 사용하는 사람들에게서 많은 영향을 받았다. Walker Evans, Henry Cartier Bresson, 그리고 Albert Watson 등 폭력이나 참사의 묘사에 관심이 없는 작가들처럼 나 또한 그런 사진을 찍고 싶다. 오만에 있을 때 나는 아름다운 자연환경과 사람들의 평화로움을 묘사하고자 했다. 그리하여 일반적으로 중동에서 연상되는 이미지와는 조금이라도 다른 사진을 찍겠다는 개인적인 목표를 세웠었다. 오만에 머무르는 동안 나는 사진술의 측면에서 매우 큰 성과를 얻었던 것 같다. 나는 웅장한 사막의 풍경과 조그만 도시들이 전통과 현대가 서로를 보완하고 있는 것이라는 사실을 깨달았다. 이 전시회의 사진들은 최근 10년 동안 찍은 사진 중에서 개인적으로 좋아하는 사진들을 선택하여 아시아, 유럽, 그리고 중동의 세 지역으로 구분해 놓은 것이다.

보이는 것과 보는 것은 다른 것이며,
보는 것을 이해하는 것은 또 다른 문제이고,
이해한 것에서 배우는 것은 또 별개의 것이며,
배운 것을 바탕으로 행동하는 것이 가장 중요한 것이다.

도교 속담

캐나다 사진작가 John Sweetman은 최근 12년 동안 외국에서 생활해 왔다. 그는 지금 서울 외국인 학교에서 시각 예술을 가르치고 있다. Sweetman에게 사진이란 타지와 타문화에서의 개인적 발견을 기록하고 공유할 수 있는 수단이다. 그의 사진들은 항상 대상과 구도를 인식한 보도 자료라고 볼 수 있다. 그의 최근 전시회 “외국 사진: ”바깥 생활“에서 나온 10년간의 사진 기록”은 인사동의 아트비트 갤러리에서 2008년 3월 19일부터 4월 2일까지 열린다.
전시될 대형 사진들은 캐나다에서 출력하였다. Sweetman은 고급 캔버스에 문서기록용 잉크를 사용한 지클리(Gisclée) 인쇄 기법을 채택하였다. 이로 인해 질과 선명도, 그리고 채도가 최상의 상태인 사진들을 구현하게 되었다.
  목록보기

NO IMAGE S U B J E C T HIT
77  견고한 장면展, 정연두, '로케이션' , Curriculum Vitae    12037
Notice    (공지) 인사동 전시장을 닫습니다   10636
75  김용철개인전, 05/25~05/28, 초대26일(화) 6시    9028
74  또 다른 시선에 놓인 사람들展 (사진) 2.11~2.24    8826
73  길 위의 시간展(사진) 3. 11~ 3. 24    8786
72  ‘이미지적 사유, 사유적 이미지’전    8781
71  03.25~04.07 이응종 개인전 (사진)    8712
70  04.08~04.18 백연희 개인전 (사진)    8697
69  김동휘개인전 , 04.29~05.12    8557
68  04.19~04.28 이헌지 개인전 (사진)    8446
67  화성人, 나와 세상을 보다展 (사진) 2.25~3.10    8235
66  한금선 개인전 : 월간사진 인터뷰( 2006년 10월, 최연하)    6609
 John Sweetman 개인전, March 19 - April 1, Opening Reception , 3/19 (wed) 6:30~8:00pm    6585
64  김일권 개인전 ' 만신 (萬 神)', 12/12~12/18, Opening 12/12 (수) 7:30pm~8:30pm    6267
63  제10회 사진비평상展 아트비트갤러리2인전 1. 14~ 1. 20    5872
    목록보기   다음페이지 1 [2][3][4][5][6]

Copyright 1999-2020 Zeroboard / skin by GGAMBO